Thursday, April 29, 2010

My first experience tutoring

As confident as i was a week before I began tutoring, I couldn't deny the rush of nerves that I felt on the way to the Writing Center. When my tuttee walked into the room with a wide smile, I was consoled. The first thing she asked me is, "so, what do I do?" My nerves were gone at this point, knowing that I had to get my mind focused. I explained that we are working on ACT and she replied, "Oh yeah, that's right" and began shuffling through her binder.

I used the talk aloud strategy as soon as her paper hit the table. My first question was regarding the proposals in the opening paragraph. Having read the intro silently, I noticed the word "whether" and not two different proposals. Not being accustomed to "yes" or "no" ACT questions, I asked her to show me the ACT question. The question was worded the same way so i proceeded to the body paragraphs.

In each of the body paragraphs I first read silently and then picked out her opening sentence and supporting reason and read them to her aloud. I asked her if the sentence i had picked was the reason she was using to support her examples. She responded with a yes and even elaborated a bit on each of the reasons.

I was on the lookout for common patterns and key words within her body paragraphs. A few times i had to pause and ask her what exactly she meant when she said such and such. Overall, my tuttee wrote logically, structured and developed. I went over a few grammatical and spelling errors with her, making sure she understood each one. There were a few sentences where the articles were missing. I read over a few words, that were missing a connecting word, to see if she knew what she had forgotten. In all the sentences she was able to tell me exactly what word was missing, which made me happy. She told me that, "they only give you an hour to write these things." I responded, "I know, I just want to make sure you know what was missing." I noticed also that she was unsure about when and where to pluralize words which I explained and helped her correct, but I intend to run it by her again to make sure she understands. We left off at the end of the second body paragraph.

I realized from my first tutoring experience that sitting in on other tutors and being a critic is easier than actually being in the tutors seat. I know that I have criticized tutors for not focusing on the higher order concerns first and yet I found myself helping my tuttee with her lower order concerns. I am not particularly happy about that. I do think my first experience went well but I know the second will be better.

7 comments:

  1. It seems like an educational blog which always some new information to visitors pinecrest tutoring and Enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the work you have put into your nice blog. SAT Tutor Gulf Stream We will bookmark to your blog because it is very informational. We love the site and will come back to see your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Private tutor Lighthouse Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very profitable post for me. Jupiter Island Tutoring I've enjoyed reading the post. It is very informative and useful post. I would like to visit the post once more its valuable content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for give me information on this topic. Private tutor Larchmont you have sharing very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Private tutor Greenwich Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever!Private tutor Sag Harbor Best of luck

    ReplyDelete