Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reflection on "Understanding Composing"

Sondra Perl’s insightful work on “Understanding Composing” was a pleasure to read. Perl takes the research result of composing aloud (that was intended to provide teachers with the opportunity to see their own composing processes at work) and realizes the flow of composing was captured. Detecting certain basic patterns through this research study, Perl goes on to ask and answer the questions of: “what basic patterns seem to occur during composing?” and “what does this type of research have to tell us about the nature of composing aloud?”

Perl describes how writing appears to be recursive even though the parts that recur seem to vary between different people. I had to laugh when I was reading the recursive processes in detail and writing an essay because I noticed how I had been unconsciously doing everything that Perl said writers do. I reread little bits of discourse, returned to my notion of the essay topic, changed what I wrote to better comply with the notion I have of the topic and then I paused, using what Perl refers to as “felt-sense”, to listen and react to what my words already on the page were saying to me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal,
    It seems that you have gained a great understanding about "felt sense" through Perl's work. I myself noticed that while I write I go back to my writing and sometimes revise it. In addition, I have realized that many of us, while we write we tend to listen and react to our words.Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your response because it sounded so much like my own. When you write "I noticed how I had been unconsciously doing everything that Perl said writers do" I felt the exact same way and laughed myself. I also enjoyed when you said you listen to what your words say to you and it offers a sense of awareness of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. You gave great details and information about what was written in Perl's essay. I am on the same boat as you when you wrote in your response saying, "I reread little bits of discourse, returned to my notion of the essay topic, changed what I wrote to better comply with the notion." I find myself reading and rereading what I write all the time.

    Good job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal'

    Your response was very interseting, I personally liked how you identified the patterns that Pearl used that occurs during composing. You made some good analyzation of this.

    ReplyDelete